Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Battling Trojans

Picture Courtesy of Google images.


            I know. What do Trojans, computer Trojans that is, have to do with writing. Well, since we all live in the 21st century, I’m sure at one point or another, our writing is going to end up on the computer and we’ll be doing a lot of our research, revising, querying etc. through the internet which means the upkeep of our computers are vital.

            That means viruses are especially a danger and crisis for us. I know. I just recently battled a Trojan a few weeks ago and they are the worst. Viruses are a little easier to track, but Trojans infest the entire computer and block all programs from running, including your virus, spyware, and malware defense programs and that means that I have to spend time away from writing just to solve it. So here are some tips and general rules for getting rid of Trojans and keeping your computer protected.

            1) Your cable provider’s free protection sucks! 

            I’m saying this because my cable provider gives us “free” on up to five computers in the house and less than a week after downloading after my other one that came with my PC expired, I had to fight a lovely Trojan that somehow got on my computer on a site I normally go to and usually checks out. When your cable provider or internet provider give you free virus protection just know that it’s third rate.

            2) System Restore

            In the event that you do end up getting a Trojan, system restore immediately, before the Trojan blocks that option too. In minor cases this will take care of the problem quickly because it undoes all downloads and updates that happened after the date you restore back to.

            3) Safe Mode

            In the case that system restore doesn’t work as in the case of a very persistent little Trojan that got on my computer recently, go to safe mode. Safe mode blocks the internet and stops all startup programs from starting up. Once there, run you virus protect. Unfortunately, the one I had was smart and somehow got into safe mode. I nearly had an outright conniption!

            4) When all else fails, create a new user

            When all else fails, backup all your stuff log off, log on to another user, and delete the infested user before the Trojan spreads onto the rest of your computer. Nowadays, you can just go straight to deleting the user and the computer will ask if you want to save any documents. Save them, but make sure the file where the Trojan is not in anything you decide to save.

            5) Prevention

            After you create a new user and reload all your stuff, get on internet and download some real virus protection immediately. I can’t recommend Malware Bytes more. It updates every day to catch all the newly created viruses. I have the free version, but try to get the one that runs in real time which you have to pay for. I’m on a college budget and can’t afford it right now, not when I have to go buy a new Wii and get my hands on a 3DS. Lol.  But it is worth the money and I'll eventually invest in it. Then go download some backup programs. It’s all up to preference. Right now, I have Avast, Malware bytes, and I will soon download AVG. There’s another on my PC that my friend put on here, but I’m not sure what it is. Just be sure not to have them all running actively at the same time or they may block each other. Have one running constantly and the others for back up in case something slips through.

So not your normal post, but certainly useful for writers. My computer is my baby, and I couldn't get all my writing work done without it. That means I have to keep it maintained and protected from threats.
 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: